The first written mention of Wickham appeared in a Royal Charter document dating back to 826 and following the Norman Conquest, King William granted the Manor of Wickham to Hugo de Port and the Village appeared in the Doomsday Book of 1086.
In 1269, King Henry III granted a charter for markets to be held on a Thursday and it is from this time that the layout of the village, as we now know it, began to emerge.
Wickham also had a fair, which attracted buyers and sellers from a wide area, often referred to Wickham Horse Fair it is still held each year on 20 May.
The pretty Church of St Nicholas built in the early 12th century, but largely rebuilt during the 19th century stands on the crossroads with the A32 and not far from the Chesapeake Mill which built in 1820 with timber taken from an American ship USS Chesapeake, it is now a popular shopping destination.
In 1903, a branch railway was built from Fareham through Wickham, to Droxford and Alton, closed to passengers in 1955 the line is now popular with walkers, cyclists and horse riders.
The award-winning Wickham Music Festival is held just outside of the village every August.
Taste of Wickham is a food festival, first held in Wickham’s medieval square in 2014. The festival offers local produce, barbecues, tasters and cookery demonstrations
Boxing Day each year sees an ‘impromptu’ gathering of typically over a hundred motor vehicles of all types in the village square. The vehicles ‘on show’ are whatever somebody decides to take along on the day and can range from veteran to classic.
The once “Old Curio Shop” and now currently The Square Cow is an open hall timber framed building with a continuous jetty and dates back to the sixteenth Century. It is one of three Wealden Houses in the village. Inside on the upper floor, medieval paintings with floral/geometric patterns can be seen, preserved behind glass. There are more paintings on the underside of the same room, but these are protected and hidden from view by modern plasterboard.